A farewell gift to Abshar Bhai




Dr. Abshar Hasan – one of the most hardworking human beings that I have met in my journey of life. Calling him a legend would be probably too much isn’t it? But we can actually call him “The” Abshar Hasan. When I saw this 6 feet something inches muscular guy during my PhD interviews at IIT Guwahati, the first thought was that – if such older (and big) people are interviewing here, where will a fresher like me hold a chance!! But fate had other plans – not only were both of us selected at IITG but we ended up sharing nearby labs.

I really don’t know where to start as I don’t really know him from his early days. In fact it was only yesterday (after 4 and half years) when I came to know that he was working as a sales executive for Nestle in Punjab. So I will just go with the flow. He was one of the very first (and also probably the best) guys with whom I bonded in my 2014 PhD batch but I had never imagined  this bond to grow so much. Was it for our love for food, I wonder????



Well jokes apart, after 4 years, we are simply great with each other. The best part about him (No not his charming good looks!☺) is surprisingly not even his scientific papers (surprised??!!) but the fact that he is still so humble and down to earth. From establishing a lab single – handedly to being a Commonwealth research fellow and publishing a paper in Langmuir, this man has achieved it all. Yet, he never says ‘no’ if you ever go to him for help. I owe my whole fluorescence microscopy work to him; for 1 year he was away in UK and nobody could help me with that work. I don’t know how his closest male friends would react to it but his absence at IITG for a year affected me the hardest – he was like a safety blanket to me and I couldn’t just run up to him right across the corridor or scream out “ABSHAAAR BHAAAI.”

Never imagined 5 years would be so short (well its only 4 years maybe) but now it is again time to bid you goodbye and this time, there is probably no hope of meeting each other again. The tag line that I had got inscribed on your gift “The brother I longed for and got” would hold true always no matter what. You were not with me during my father’s demise but that single call from UK meant a lot to me. And of course, I can’t forget your late night (any my early morning) calls to me. You achieved so much in your research life that it would almost seem like a joke if I give you some advice but since you are my brother from another mother, I would really appreciate if you follow these few things sincerely –
  1.       Make an effort to start praying at the appointed times
  2.     Quit smoking (not even 1 cigarette a day!)
  3.    Try learning and doing things that can bring a change not only in your life but also the lives of those in need
  4.    Never become proud (even if you get the Noble Prize some day)
  5.    When you have children, teach them to be good human beings before anything else
  6.    Don’t EVER become like any of the PIs at BSBE, IITG!!

More than that, I don’t think you need because you are already so good! But no matter where you are, you will find in me FAMILY - A family that does not have any blood ties for sure; but one that is even stronger, being erected upon the four pillars of emotion, empathy, friendship and understanding. Don’t know if you would remember or even need me but if you do, I am just a call or maybe a mail away.


And lastly, I do hope and pray that our bond continues beyond the realms of this institute. Remember me in your prayers always. And it goes without saying that I will miss you terribly!

Life without you will not be the same......But still the hope lingers….ALLAH hafiz….till we meet again….

Comments

  1. My goodness, I can't believe someone can write this good about me and that too on blog. It is just amazing and I am completely overwhelmed with lot of emotions running down my nerves.. Thank you Ishani for bringing up all the emotional bonds we share. It has been a great journey with you and it doesn't feel that we spend already 4.5 yrs together, it appears a thing of recent past to me.
    I will surely miss our serious talks (pun intended) over coffee at CCD. A journey without true frnd is incomplete and boring, thank you for making mine interesting :).
    I will surely be in touch with you where ever I stay and I hope the same from you. I have noted the points you made and will definitely work in the direction to improve them/myself.
    This piece of work has touched me eternally, thank you for this lovely farewell gift I ever received.

    I hope you achieve whatever you desire for. Keep doing good work future Dr. Ishani. Keep me posted about all important happenings/events yet to come in your life. Let me know if you need any help of any sort. Call me, if I don't receive, believe that I was sleeping..LOL

    Thank you once again.
    Abshar

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Zain Ramadan 2018 commercial: The hype and the reality

GROWING THROUGH BOOKS